The UKAHPP holds a register of therapists called “The UKAHPP Register of Psychotherapeutic Counsellors and Psychotherapists”. This register is currently unaccredited but the intention is to become accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
You must be a member of the UKAHPP in order to register.
Registration with UKAHPP is for Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counsellors and Psychotherapists who are in practice and who wish to publicly demonstrate their commitment to public safety by agreeing to abide by the UKAHPP Code of Ethical Principles and Code of Practice and be held accountable by the UKAHPP Complaints Procedure.
Registration is available to any existing member who meets the criteria. If you are just in the process of joining the Association, you can submit an application to join the Register at the same time as an application for Membership in which case registration will only be considered if your membership application is accepted.
In choosing to be a Registrant you are agreeing to the following:
- You agree to abide by the UKAHPP Code of Ethical Principles and Code of Practice which are published on the UKAHPP website
- You agree to be held accountable for your professional conduct through the UKAHPP Complaints Procedure which is published on the UKAHPP website
- You agree to have your name included on the public UKAHPP Register of Psychotherapeutic Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
- You can demonstrate that you have achieved a level of training in humanistic psychotherapeutic counselling or psychotherapy which is appropriate for registration.
We need to confirm that you are a qualified psychotherapeutic counsellor or psychotherapist and have a humanistic approach. We welcome a diverse range of practitioners so have a number of ways in which you can demonstrate your qualifications. These are detailed on the Application Form for Registration (Note that this is a members-only document, you will need to log in to download it).
There are three categories of practitioners who can apply for the register:
Category 1: Full Members
If you are a Full Member of the UKAHPP, then you have already shown you meet the criteria for registration during your accreditation process.
Category 2: Completed Training in Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling or Psychotherapy
If you have completed a diploma-level or higher, training course in Psychotherapeutic Counselling or Psychotherapy, then we need to verify whether the course meets the minimum requirement for registration.
The requirements for a training course are:
- it must have a Humanistic approach
- it must be at least diploma level (nationally recognised exam board, HND or Foundation Degree, level 5 on the QAA Framework for Higher Education Qualifications)
- it must include at least 400 hours of tutor contact
- you must have practiced in a placement and completed at least 100 hours of client work
- you must have been in supervision for 1 hour of supervision per 6 hours of client work throughout your placement
- you must have completed at least 30 hours of personal therapy
Category 3: Alternative Routes
If you have completed a training in Psychotherapeutic Counselling or Psychotherapy which is approximately equivalent to the minimum requirements in Category 2 above, but which does not meet all the criteria, then you may meet the criteria through other supplementary training courses.
You will need to show how your practice fits within the humanistic approach. For example, if you originally trained in a non-Humanistic approach, what trainings or CPD did you engage in to learn about Humanistic theory and how do you use it in your practice?