Full Accredited Member
UKAHPP Register of Humanistic Psychotherapists and Psychotherapeutic Counsellors
– Accreditation Criteria (Summary)-
The UKAHPP welcomes applications from Psychotherapeutic Counsellors working with adults in the United Kingdom in the category of UKAHPP Full Accredited Member: Psychotherapeutic Counsellor (Registered) incorporating entry on to the UKAHPP Register of Humanistic Psychotherapists and Psychotherapeutic Counsellors, accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
As the following is a summary of the Accreditation Criteria, applicants are required to read the Detailed Accreditation Criteria before completing the Application Form – see link below.
All Psychotherapeutic Counsellor Accreditation applications will be processed by the Membership Committee for entry on to the UKAHPP Register before Accreditation verification is conducted by the Accreditation Committee.
As an Organisational Member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) the UKAHPP may sponsor Accredited Psychotherapeutic Counsellors for UKCP Registration with the Psychotherapeutic Counselling and Intersubjective Psychotherapy College (PCIPC) under the UKCP Central Complaints Procedure. An additional annual fee applies for this facility.
A separate streamlined route is also available for the transfer of Psychotherapeutic Counsellor Accreditation from other PSA Accredited Registers.
A. Minimum Criteria
UKAHPP Psychotherapeutic Counsellor Accreditation is open to applicants who have successfully completed a 2 year (full-time) or at least 3 years (part-time) dedicated practice based graduate training in Psychotherapeutic Counselling grounded in a Humanistic approach OR an equivalent portfolio of graduate trainings, including a substantial Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling Training. Any accreditation criteria not covered in a training programme are to be evidenced by completion of additional graduate modular training and qualifications. Applicants are normally expected to apply for accreditation within 2 years of graduation. The following is a summary of the accreditation criteria:
- The award of a Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counsellor qualification at Level 6 or above of the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA): Framework for Higher Education Qualifications of UK Degree-Awarding Bodies (Bachelor’s Degree, Graduate Diploma; Graduate Certificate). As other frameworks exist and may vary, applicants must demonstrate how their training equates to level 6 of the QAA
- 450 hours of tutor contact covering the: Theory and Practice of Psychotherapeutic Counselling and Humanistic Psychology; Knowledge of the therapeutic relationship; Theoretical understanding of therapeutic concepts within a wide range of practice, including safeguarding, diversity and equality awareness.
- 450 hours of supervised practice as a Psychotherapeutic Counsellor, with a minimum of 3 clients per week over 2 years.
- 1 hour of supervision to 6 hours of Client Contact that reflects the approach practiced, in an established face-to-face relationship preferably with the same UKAHPP Accredited Psychotherapeutic Counsellor or Psychotherapist (or equivalent). Minimum 5 hours of supervision per month.
- A minimum of 105 hours of face-to-face Personal Therapy in the approach the applicant practices, with a UKAHPP Accredited Psychotherapeutic Counsellor or Psychotherapist (or equivalent, 50 hours with the same therapist.
In addition applicants are required to:
- Submit a Supervisor’s Report
- Submit a Referee’s Statement
- Case Study (4,000 words)
- Humanistic Orientation Statement (1,000 words)
- Hold during and post training Indemnity Insurance cover
- Undertake post training, at least 250 hours of Continuing Professional Development over a 5 year period with a minimum of 20 hours per year
- Continue in practice working with adults in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Maintain a Therapeutic Executor arrangement
- Have their name and professional standing, included on the public available UKAHPP Register of Humanistic Psychotherapists and Psychotherapeutic Counsellors, including complaints and sanctions if applicable, published in the public area of the UKAHPP website
- Complete a Notification of Practice and Annual Renewal Declaration Form and provide identity data relevant to their practice as required by UKAHPP.
- Comply with requirements governing the representation of UKAHPP Membership, Registration and Accreditation and the use of the UKAHPP and PSA names and logos.
- Declare any upheld or current complaints about their practice and any criminal convictions prejudicial to their fitness to practice.
- Declare that their health and character (physical and mental) is of sufficiently good standing to enable them to practice safely and effectively.
- Abide to published requirements governing 5 year renewal of accreditation under the UKAHPP Re-Accreditation Procedure
- Abide to the UKAHPP Code of Practice and Ethical Principles and be held accountable for their practice under the UKAHPP Complaints Procedure
B. How to Apply
Additional information and an Application Form can be accessed by pressing the following links.
LINK – DETAILED CRITERIA
LINK – Case Study Guidelines (under review)
LINK – SUPERVISOR’S REPORT
LINK – REFEREE’S STATEMENT