The UKAHPP welcomes applications in the category of Accredited Supervisor for Psychotherapists and Psychotherapeutic Counsellors and for entry on to the UKAHPP Register of Humanistic Psychotherapists and Psychotherapeutic Counsellors.
Supervision or Consultative Supervision as it is also known is considered by the UKAHPP to be a formal, collaborative, ongoing professional relationship, whereby one professional, the supervisor, facilitates another professional, the supervisee, to reflect on issues relating to the therapeutic relationship and the supervisee’s fitness to practice, with the under-lying purpose of enhancing competence and therapeutic effectiveness in the interest of public protection.
1. Applications are open to Psychotherapists and Psychotherapeutic Counsellors who meet the following criteria or equivalent:
1.1 Hold Accreditation as a Psychotherapist or Psychotherapeutic Counsellor with a PSA Accredited Register or statutory organisation in the field of Psychotherapeutic Counselling and Psychotherapy, for a minimum of 2 years and with a minimum of 200 supervised client contact hours.
1.2 Have been in practice as a Supervisor for a minimum of 2 years with supervisee’s working with a range of client issues within brief and long-term therapy.
1.3 Are in receipt of supervision in relation to their supervision practice with an Accredited Supervision who may be the same supervisor they access for their therapy practice.
1.4 Have completed, post qualifying, Supervision training with 72 hours of direct tutor contact hours, in the theory and practice of Humanistic Supervision, including a substantial piece of written work of 3,000-5,000 words.
1.5 Applicants are required to submit a 3,000 word Supervision Practice Study about working with a supervisee or a supervision group. The study is to demonstrate how as a supervisor the applicant integrates theory with practice as a supervisor, with vignettes about: the supervision frame is established; how difficulties are managed; the developmental stages of the supervision relationship; issues the supervisor takes to supervision. This study should also demonstrate an understanding of diversity and understanding of the boundaries between therapy and supervision.
2. Applications are also open to Psychotherapeutic Counsellors and Psychotherapists with a minimum of 2 years post qualification experience:
2.1 Who can provide evidence of Supervision training in the field of Psychotherapy and Psychotherapeutic Counselling via Supervision Accreditation on a PSA or a statutory register.
2.2 Applicants are required to submit a 1,000 word statement about their practice as a Humanistic Supervisor.
3. In addition all applicants are required to:
- Provide a Supervisor’s Report
- Attend a 50 minute accreditation interview
- Hold Indemnity Insurance
- Undertake at least 250 hours of Continuing Professional Development over a 5 year period with a minimum of 20 hours per year.
- Be in practice in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Have a Therapeutic Executor arrangement
- Complete a Notification of Practice and Annual Renewal Declaration Form and ID data relevant to their practice as required by UKAHPP.
- Have their name and professional standing, including complaints and sanctions if applicable, published in the public area of the UKAHPP website.
- Declare any upheld or current complaints about their practice and any criminal convictions prejudicial to their fitness to practice.
- Declare that their health and character (physical and mental) is of sufficiently good standing to enable them to practice safely and effectively.
- Abide by the UKAHPP Code of Practice and Ethical Principles with particular reference to supervision requirements and for their practice to be accountable under the UKAHPP Complaints Procedure
B. How to Apply
Applications are to be submitted on the latest version of Application Form (see link below) in black ‘Arial’ font and returned with supporting documents as a ‘PDF’ email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be submitted by post to:
The Accreditation Committee
C/o The UKAHPP Administrator
Box BCM AHPP
LINKS TO Supervisor – APPLICATION FORM
C. Check List
Please ensure you complete all sections of the application form (most recent version) including:
Training and Accreditation certificates as PDF attachments
- Supervision Practice Statement
- Supervision Practice Study
- Indemnity Insurance evidence
- Complaints and conviction details (if applicable)
- Supervisor’s Report – signed by supervisor and supervisee
- Signed Declaration
- Non-refundable fee of £150 – Payable to ‘UKAHPP’.
D. Unsuccessful Applications
In the event of an unsuccessful application, a written request can be made to the Accreditation Committee for the decision to be reconsidered by the Accreditation Committee, with evidence as to how identified criteria omissions have been complied with. The Accreditation Committee’s decision will be final.
E. Additional Information
The UKAHPP will hold information provided by applicants in accordance with Data Protection requirements and will delete information relating to unsuccessful applications from its records 18 months following submission.
F. Public Protection
To enhance public protection and the promotion of confidence in the register, the UKAHPP will share and seek information about the professional standing of applicants and registrants, from other register holders and professional organisations.